UCC Remembers Logo

Discover the stories and remember the lives of UCC
Old Boys who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the Great War.

UCC Motor Ambulance

The boys and masters of the College, with the kind assistance of some good friends among the Old Boys, are presenting to the Canadian Red Cross Society the best equipped Wolseley motor ambulance, to be used in helping to care for wounded Canadian soldiers at the front. A design submitted for the approval of the donors, shows the College crest in blue on each side, and it is intended that when the ambulance goes into the field it will be in charge of an Old Boy. In contributing towards so laudable an object the boys are glad to have some part in relieving the sufferings of the soldiers, and it is hoped that, as this ambulance goes about its work of mercy, the sight of it may revive happy memories in the heart of many an Old Boy and give him a thrill of pride when he realizes that the old College is not unmindful of her sons and the sacrifices they are making on the battlefields of France.

College Times Easter 1916 pg. 19

 

w1915_UCC-Motor-Ambulance-post-card-001

 

The photograph reproduced as frontispiece of this issue of the College Times represents the Upper Canada College Ambulance, and was taken on the day it left the Wolseley Factory at Adderley Park, near Birmingham, last summer, when it started on its travels with Lorne Crowther, U.C.C. 1907-1914, as driver. The Ambulance was for some time attached to Clievedon Hospital, and was employed in conveying wounded from the station to the hospital at every hour of the day and night. In this work Crowther tells us it proved its efficiency and superiority over other motor ambulances attached to the hospital. Later in the Autumnthe Ambulance was transferred to France, and Crowther returned to Canada to qualify as Lieutenant, in order to go to the front on active service. The Ambulance is at present “somewhere in France,” but it is impossible to state its exact location ; but we feel sure that in France, as in England it is proving useful and fulfilling the aim which the School, and the “Old Boys” who contributed, had in view, namely—to aid and comfort those of our countrymen who are shedding their blood for us and for the Empire.

College Times Easter 1916 pg. 1